Saturday, March 13, 2010

Alex Takes to the Stage


Alex made his stage debut last night at the first annual "Cooperstown's Got Talent" show held at the high school. A paper requesting acts came home from school a couple of weeks ago. Alex usually looks terrified in front of a crowd. His preschool concerts, kindergarten concerts and first grade concerts have revealed him as a boy with stage fright. His mouth hardly moves. He fidgets with his hands and generally looks like he wishs he could disappear. Even at home, he clams up immediately if we catch him singing to himself. So, it was really only for the sake of asking that I asked if he wanted to be in the talent show.

"Yes!" was his surprising and enthusiastic reply. "What am I talented at?" It seemed a silly question, until I had to admit to myself that even as an adult, I often rely on my own mother to tell me the same thing. Sometimes, we just need our mothers to point out what in the world we are good enough at to make it worth sharing with the rest of the world. At six, Alex has a slew of talent, but stage worthy talents?

"Science tricks," I answered. "You and Daddy can do science tricks." So quickly, Steve became a part of the act. And to my continued surprise and his credit, he agreed without any hesitation.

It is to my great fortune there was merely a week for the Sweet Scientists (dubbed by Alex) to prepare. The kitchen counter and outdoor deck bubbled and gurgled and erupted with foaming liquids and exploding eggs. All varieties of hydrogen peroxide starting arriving by UPS. "Safety goggles" I whispered over and over from the background... trying to remain supportive, encouraging and unmicromanaging of the affair. By week's end, Steve seemed nervous and Alex seemed to have lost interest.

Then, it was the day of the show. Two lab coats were generously supplied by my doctor friend... nicely pressed, official, just right for two scientists.

The show was staged in the high school auditorium. The atmosphere was casual and fun. We watched jump ropers, listened to singers and the jazz band. The first of a few items to be auctioned were handed off. Just before the act was about to begin, Alex popped out from behind the curtain. He needed water for the experiments. We raced into the hallway and found a bathroom. I filled the cup as he danced around. "Do you need to go potty? I asked. "No." "Are you sure?" "Yes."

Back we raced to the stage and Alex disappeared behind the curtain. The last of the auction items was up. Alex popped back from behind the curtain and raced to me. "I do have to go!" We ran at top speed and made it back to the auditorium just as the item was handed off to its new owner. (I later found out Steve had no idea where Alex had gone... he thought he had gotten a major case of stage fright and just run away).

Finally, the curtain opened. Alex introduced the act. Steve made a few jokes. They turned toward each other and put on their safety goggles and the audience clapped. The experiments went off as planned - the foaming liquid foamed and erupted. The egg was sucked into the milk bottle. Alex cheered. The supportive audience went wild and the act was over. A few minutes later, a beaming Alex came back to his seat.

The night was a wild success for the timid six-year-old. His teacher was in the audience and took time to congratulate him and ask if he and Steve might even do a couple of experiments for the class. Alex was thrilled. And he got to help his best friend's grandmother bid on and win a couple of auction items. As we left the show, he said, "I am so happy right now I feel like crying!"

I hope Steve has started thinking about next year's act.